Refinishing a Family Heirloom
This Armoire is from the late 1800’s, early 1900’s and was in the entrance hall of the main house back on the old Virginia family farm of my wife’s great grandfather.
It is approximately 8 feet tall, 4 ½ feet wide and 2 feet deep made out of walnut with some burl pieces. By the time it was passed onto my wife this summer it has had many DIY repairs and adjustments to accommodate such items as TV’s, wires, stereo, book case and who knows what else. It arrived at our home here in Darien, Connecticut from Florida with broken feet, busted hinges, cracked sides, and a few unidentified pieces that have fallen off over the years.
Needless to say this honey-do list item turned into a summer project out in the garage. First I had to take the whole cabinet apart, repair the cut outs in the back, glue the broken joints, rebuild and remill the some of the architectural details, drawers and feet of the Armoire. Once all the repair work was done then I needed to clean the unit with denatured alcohol and steel wool, very careful sometimes using a q-tip. Then put on a new clear coat of Shellac that allowed the wood to come back to its natural glory.
Once all that was done it was time to put all the pieces together, install new oil rubbed bronze hardware and hinges, shelves and minor adjustments for a job well done. Well that is at least one item crossed off my honey do list today J
David Popoff is a license Realtor in Connecticut with William Raveis office in Darien. A life time resident of Fairfield County he has worked throughout lower Fairfield County for over 30 years and now resides in Darien, Ct since 2004.
- Member of the Darien, Greenwich and Greater Fairfield County MLS.
- Member of the Connecticut Association of Realtors, CAR.
- Member of the National Association of Realtors, NAR.
- Green Affiliations.
- Realtor GREEN designation by the National Association of Realtors.
- David Popoff is an accredited LEED Accredited Professional (LEED AP) Homes and USGBC member of the Connecticut chapter (CTGBC).
- Associate member and an accredited Certified Green Professional (CGP) of National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and the local chapter HBRA-Fairfield County, Ct. .
- Contact David Popoff for all your real estate needs in Darien, Greenwich, New Canaan, Rowayton and the rest of lower Fairfield County.
Connecticut Licensed Real Estate Broker
Seller Representative Specialist
Accredited Buyer Representative candidate
LEED AP Homes
DMK Real Estate, Darien, CT.
Cell (203) 228-0646
click on logo to go to website