2013 Connecticut Zero Energy Home Challenge.
The fourth annual Connecticut Zero Energy Challenge for new built homes is nearing the end of the contest with 11 approved participates this year. Note that a few of the building companies are repeat participates in the challenge from previous years who are proving to be leaders in Energy Efficient construction and sustainable homes.
Some of the awards and benefits earned by these Connecticut homes will be:
· 2013 Overall Winner ~ $10,000.
· Lowest overall HERS Index rating ~ $5,000.
· Lowest HERS Index without renewable technologies ~ $5,000.
· Most affordable project $/sq. ~ $5,000.
· Lowest projected annual net operating cost ~ $5,000.
In previous challenges the HERS Index that was reached was an amazing -7 and -9. The HERS Index measures a home’s energy efficiency by an independent third party Home Energy Rater. The lower the number the more energy efficient the home is.
The U.S. Department of Energy has determined a typical new construction home would rate 100.
· If a home rates 70 then it is 30% more energy efficient than the normal new home at 100.
· A home with a HERS Index of 140 would be 40% less energy efficient than a standard new home.
To read more about these eleven new built homes in Connecticut and past winners in 2010 through to 2012 go to www.ctzeroenergychallenge.com
David Popoff is a license Connecticut Real Estate Broker specializing in Sustainability in lower Fairfield County, Connecticut.
DMK Property Management llc a locally owned company serving lower Fairfield County, Connecticut.
Specializing in Residential Property Management that can custom tailor a program to fit the homeowners needs be it short term or long term from rental management to full estate management.
Connecticut Licensed Real Estate Broker
Seller Representative Specialist
Accredited Buyer Representative candidate
LEED AP Homes
DMK Real Estate, Darien, CT.
Cell (203) 228-0646
click on logo to go to website