Community Colleges Offering Green Course in Connecticut and Other States.
If you are interested in building green or achieving a sustainable lifestyle then you should take a look at your local Community College. Many regional Community Colleges are offering Green course for their students, homeowners & landlords, real estate agents, builders, architects and whomever else interested in new green building technology, the science behind it, green raters and how to live sustainability.
How do I know? I have literally attended hundreds of hours of ‘Green’ classes, lectures, tours and continuing education seminars and this one that I am recommending is a comprehensive 20 hour course that covers a lot of different aspects. Obviously the course content is important but equally important is the instructor who teaches should have experience, knowledge and be staying on top of current trends. (I would not recommend an online course but a live classroom).
The course I am recommending is “LEED Green Associate Core Concepts” which is part of the U.S. Green Building Council and is designed to help students achieve their LEED Green Associate accreditation but teaches much more than LEED.
**** If you google "LEED Green Associate Core Concepts Course" along with your state then you might find this course offered locally and live (not on line). i.e. LEED Green Associate Core Concepts Connecticut. ***
Here in Connecticut the course is offered for spring 2013 by two local Community Colleges:
~ Norwalk Community College (NCC) under the Extended Studies GREEN program
Here in Connecticut “LEED Green Associate Core Concepts” is taught by instructor William Janhonen who has taught this course for a number of years at various local Community Colleges and other venues like Ring’s End Education Center for Builders and Architects.
“LEED Green Associate Core Concepts”
This course is a 20 hour course broken into 5 sessions for the cost of $395 at NCC. This is a bargain when you compare this to other similar ‘green’ courses being offered usually in one day lecture at $400 or more.
The 4 hour jam packed segments allow students to digest and comprehend the information and to build up their knowledge with the next 4 hour segment.
The course is based on the LEED Rating System and will prepare the student to take the LEED Green Associate Exam BUT it is much more with:
- Providing an overview of sustainable building.
- Discuss Green building rating systems.
- Discuss Environment issues driving the industry.
- Current changes in the 2009 IECC energy codes,
- Explain best practices, key terms, concepts and regulations to the LEED Credit Categories:
- Sustainable Sites
- Water Efficiency
- Energy & Atmosphere
- Materials & Resources
- Indoor Environmental Quality
- Innovation in Design
- Regional Priority
- Awareness & Education
NCC offers several ‘green’ courses along with its ‘BEST’ program for more information go to their website:
- Click menu “Extended Studies”
- Click “Catalog – Spring 2013” for the pdf
- And go to page 36 “Green Programs”
David Popoff is a Connecticut license real estate agent in lower Fairfield County. He has lived and worked in the area for over 30 years and now reside in Darien since 2004.
- Green Affiliations.
- Realtor GREEN designation by the National Association of Realtors.
- David Popoff is an accredited LEED Accredited Professional (LEED AP) Homes and USGBC member of the Connecticut chapter (CTGBC).
- Associate member and an accredited Certified Green Professional (CGP) of National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and the local chapter HBRA-Fairfield County, Ct.
- Member of the HBA CT Green Homes Council.
- GPRO Construction Management Certified by Urban Green Council, USGBC NY.
- Member of the Multiple Listing Service, MLS.
- Greater Fairfield County
- Member of the Connecticut Association of Realtors, CAR.
- Member of the National Association of Realtors, NAR.
- Contact David Popoff at William Pitt Sotheby’s for all your real estate needs in Darien, Greenwich, New Canaan, Rowayton and the rest of lower Fairfield County.
Connecticut Licensed Real Estate Broker
Seller Representative Specialist
Accredited Buyer Representative candidate
LEED AP Homes
DMK Real Estate, Darien, CT.
Cell (203) 228-0646
click on logo to go to website