WSJ ~ American’s Garbage Costing Communities Big $$$.
American’s need to pay attention to their trash, the cost of disposing of all this to American communities is huge. On average a community spends more money on waste management than on fire protection, parks and recreation, libraries or schoolbooks, according to U.S. Census data on municipal budgets.
Los Angeles has constructed a garbage mountain 500 feet high.
New York City carts out 12,000 tons of trash a day.
The average American tosses out 4.4 pounds of trash per day with the USA population at around 313,000,000+ and growing that is a lot of trash.
In Austria, the Netherlands, Sweden, Belgium and Denmark all send less than 4% of their trash to landfills. Recycling rates are two to three times higher than America’s along with community base utilities that burn trash to provide electricity.
To be more aware of where your trash goes take a count next week on your trash output. Last week I counted my trash, 7 bags total with:-
- 1 bag going to compost
- 2 bags bottles and can recycle
- 1 bag paper recycle
- 3 bags garbage.
We have 3 small garbage cans in the kitchen, one for garbage, a bin for bottles and cans, one for paper recycling along with a counter container for composting.
David Popoff is a Connecticut license real estate agent in lower Fairfield County. He has lived and worked in the area for over 30 years and now reside in Darien since 2004.
- Green Affiliations.
- Realtor GREEN designation by the National Association of Realtors.
- David Popoff is an accredited LEED Accredited Professional (LEED AP) Homes and USGBC member of the Connecticut chapter (CTGBC).
- Associate member and an accredited Certified Green Professional (CGP) of National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and the local chapter HBRA-Fairfield County, Ct.
- Member of the Multiple Listing Service, MLS.
- Greater Fairfield County
- Member of the Connecticut Association of Realtors, CAR.
- Member of the National Association of Realtors, NAR.
- Contact David Popoff at William Pitt Sotheby’s for all your real estate needs in Darien, Greenwich, New Canaan, Rowayton and the rest of lower Fairfield County.